1. The company hater. This employee wears a sunny face, but in the break room, washroom, or out of the boss’s sight, she tears down everything from the president to the doorman. You don’t want to be linked to this attitude terrorist!
When you have to work for a living, it helps to have friends and it’s nice when everyone gets along. However, there are some types of co-workers you would be better off avoiding, unless you want their foibles and reputations to rub off on you. If you want your reviews to shine, think twice before befriending those who don’t have your interests at heart.
2. The equipment/supply borrower. He thinks five-finger discounts are fringe benefits and his entitlement. He takes home anything not nailed down, from paperclips to laptops. He might have a booming online auction business, too.
3. The whiner. Don’t spend time listening to this one drone on about her world, her husbands, her girlfriend, or anything else. You won’t get your work done and the consequences won’t be fun.
4. The man (or woman) collector. They abound at cocktail parties, little league games, even at church, and they’re rampant in the workplace. This person wants a date. They don’t care with whom, and they’ll go to any length to nail their target.
5. The person in love with the boss. He or she wants to be on the fast track to moving up in the world or is seeking security. They want the boss, no matter what it takes, and will stomp on anyone who gets in their way.
6. The busybody. Red-letter poison – stay away. If a co-worker sounds like he knows everything about everyone, run for your cubicle and hide. Their info is usually inaccurate, always caustic, and sometimes downright slanderous. A friendship here is the fast road to unemployment.
7. The laziest worker in the department. She’s overworked and underpaid, she says, but is so busy haunting the water cooler that she hasn’t finished a task in months. And who will she hand work off to? YOU.
8. The amorous boss. Never fall for it. No matter how good-looking, personable, or charming the boss is, the workplace is a bad place for romantic games or sexy teasing. Flirting is for after hours, away from the workplace. You have the right to report sexual harassment.
9. The guy (or girl) who knows it all and is eager to teach you. If that co-worker is assigned to help or train you, great. If not, his info isn’t what you’re supposed to learn, and your time could be better spent.
10. The climber. This person is desperate for a promotion, but has no gumption to earn her way to the top. She’s a combination of several types, and is absolutely lethal to your career. If she makes it up the ladder by devious means, she won’t remember you. If she doesn’t make it, she’ll turn on you. Keep clear.
What are the types of co-workers you recommend people avoid?
3 Responses to “10 Co-Workers to Avoid”
No related posts.