The 10 Most Desirable Traits in Human Beings

January 23, 2011 at 5:00 am

No one is free of flaws and quirks. But there are ten personality/character traits that attract the right people and circumstances into one’s life. One could say that these are the character traits of highly successful people.

1. Integrity

The true definition of integrity comes from the Latin word integritas, which means “whole” or “intact.” It encumbers all the traits that make a truly “good” person, such as honesty, being incorruptible, straight and morally upright.

A person with integrity won’t lie, will keep their word and won’t screw you over. They won’t go behind your back, badmouth you, go after another person’s partner or cheat on you, and they adhere to a code of ethics that may make them predictable, but safe to the heart and one’s sanity. No unpleasant surprises come from someone with a high sense of integrity. They follow a code of ethics that tends to be, as the word suggests, incorruptible, and they adhere to principles of common decency.

2. Courageousness

Let’s face it, people. Who wants to be with a coward? Someone who can’t and won’t stand up for their own beliefs will definitely not stand up for you or anyone else. Courageousness may not seem like such a big deal to some, but upon examining history, one notices that cowards are not too different from criminals. Why? Because most atrocious crimes to mankind would not have succeeded had it not been for the silent bystanders and those who looked the other way. No courage usually also means no principles, which will make you expendable for the simple reason that a coward will only do the least effort required and will tug tail and run when true work is required.

3. Sense of Humor

Life has ups and downs. There will be good times, bad times, hard times and easy times. Everything is easier if one keeps a sense of humor, or at least surrounds oneself with those who have one. There is a reason that poll after poll shows that most people desire a sense of humor in their partners. I also feel that someone who makes me laugh most of the time will probably not make me cry too often either. For some odd reason, this equation works for me.

4. Intelligence, Education and Common Sense

I have met plenty of people in my life with high IQs and no common sense. My personal belief is that common sense, social intelligence and “street smarts” are pretty much the same. Being able to solve the most difficult mathematical problems won’t make anyone a great partner or friend, if they cannot hold a conversation, relate to other people at all and have zero social skills. Social skills or relating to others are abilities required to use common sense, which dictates what or what not to do or say in every day settings. Overall, I don’t think any further explanation is required when it comes to this point.

5. Emotionally Open

No one wants to be with someone who is so closed off that they can’t show the most “normal” emotions. If you have ever tried to be friends or have a relationship with someone who has the emotional depth of a rock, you’ll know what I mean. How would someone who has a hard time feeling, or showing feelings, relate to you? I feel that the happy medium is our friend here. There is a difference between someone who is so closed off that they just look at you blankly, or worse, scold you or put you down when you’re feeling sad or miserable, and then there are those who break down as soon as someone looks at them the wrong way. Being able to share one’s heart doesn’t mean that one has to be a weakling or whiner. Someone who can’t feel is usually damaged goods, and lack of depth in emotional matters usually translates into lack of depth in other matters!

6. Kindness

Kindness protects you from all kinds of heart-aches. Kindness is like integrity. A person who possesses kindness will usually keep your heart safe and your best interests in mind. Their willingness to help others also translates into someone who knows how to put another’s needs ahead of their own when needed. A kind person carries a light, and that light tends to attract other “good” people too.

7. Self-Confidence

Everyone is low on confidence now and then. But stay clear of those with literally no self-esteem. A person without self-confidence/self-esteem spells disaster, because they will fail on numerous other “must-haves.” They are usually driven by self-preservation, and will do almost anything to overcome their feelings of inadequacy. This can make them psychotic and distrusting, and possibly even make them into stalkers. Which, in return, almost always ensures dishonesty, a closed heart/inability to truly feel and experience love and joy, a lack of integrity and definitely no courage. They’re usually a bucket with a huge hole in the bottom. No matter how much love and care one will pour into them, it will never be enough to make them feel safe, loved or good enough. After all, it’s impossible to love and care for someone who doesn’t love and care for themselves!

8. Discipline

There are different levels of discipline, that’s for sure. But avoid those who have absolutely no discipline at all. It requires discipline to succeed in life. Anyone who throws in the towel at the first sign of difficulty or opposition will not make a great long-term companion. This is because discipline translates into stamina, i.e. staying power. A person who can’t stick with anything for a longer period of time because it’s uncomfortable or means work is, again, someone who is either not confident or lazy. In either scenario, it’s not going to be a winning situation for you, because if they can’t stick with their own goals, they won’t stick with you either.

9. Generosity

One of the worst people to have in one’s life is a miser. Those who constantly complain about the money they don’t have, especially while spending it on things that don’t serve them, are not only annoying, but also no fun to have around. The opposite of generous is selfish, and who wants to be with a selfish person? Being miserly also tends to show individuals who are very preoccupied with material, i.e. superficial things. Combine that with the constant complaint about not having enough, and you’ll get a good picture of how life with someone who can’t be generous looks like.

10. Self-Awareness

I can’t stress the importance of self-awareness enough. Most people believe themselves to be all kinds of things which they are not. This is due to the fact that they aren’t really all that self-aware, and hence don’t ever check to see if their idea of who they are actually coincides with what other people see about them. Self-awareness is the fine middle ground of truly knowing your strengths and weaknesses without being either completely weak and self-loathing, or arrogant and narcissistic. Self-awareness allows us to know when we are way off our rocker. It allows us to see when we are wrong/screwed up and need to possibly adjust or change certain behaviors and patterns. Self-awareness allows us to look in the mirror and see who we really are; not who we think we are or hoped we were. People without self-awareness cannot grow, because they will never learn from past mistakes. They are literally blind and lost souls, stumbling after what looks and sounds the most appealing. Without self-awareness there is no truth, just illusion; and a perpetual cycle of trying to find what they think will make them happy. If you don’t know who you are, you sure as hell won’t know what makes you happy.

If you cannot be these things yourself, you probably won’t attract them in others. While we will always attract those who challenge us, and may push us to grow and overcome certain things, we still attract those who are like us. The key to finding one’s own happiness is to be the things that you require and wish for in another.

18 Responses to “The 10 Most Desirable Traits in Human Beings”

1. MATLHOMOLA MULALU November 18, 2014 at 5:16 am

AS MAN TRYING TO LIVE A LIFE OF RIGHTIOUSNESS, THIS IS TRULY AN INSPIRATION I NEEDED. THANKS A LOT AND I REALLY PLEDGE TO FUSE IN THESE TRAITS IN MY DAILY LIFE. THANKS ONES MORE

2. Minza Mohsin August 21, 2014 at 11:26 am

I think u should add more traits

3. Damita August 16, 2014 at 6:58 am

i think u should add more traits so people can figure out wat they truly r

4. mike May 7, 2014 at 3:41 am

A rather harsh article. You forgot to mention empathy and sensitivity.(hint)

5. Jessica January 21, 2014 at 8:43 am

So, let me ask a question. I have been repeatedly damaged by heartbreak, been rejected all the time by potential partners based on my Gender Identity (MtF Transgender), been rejected by my “loving” family, and been abused by partners (cheating, lying, using me for sex, etc.). As far as Im concerned, I have been emotionally scarred countless times and I can say for sure that I am emotionally damaged and severely lonely. Does this mean, even though I have all the traits (positive) mentioned above, because I am emotionally damaged that makes me undesireable? Sounds like an oxymoron to me. Sounds like a personal oppinion to me and not an article that applies to everyone. Help me understand this. Thank you and sorry for dumping my guts out.

6. Missn October 21, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Thank you for pointing out what is wrong, we also need to know how to do it right

7. Missn October 21, 2013 at 2:04 pm

I am glad you pointed out the problems…but the thing is working on the solution. You know, nothing is more important than being better people, and as helpful as it is to point out what keeps us away from that, it would be helpful to know how to turn that ship around,

8. Pat August 31, 2013 at 5:59 am

I enjoyed reading this article. Folks who have these traits should show them proudly and make others want to have these traits as well.

9. IKara July 11, 2013 at 5:45 am

I think this article describing me obviously it missed being humble :)))

10. Marcus June 29, 2013 at 6:24 am

Thank you, this is an absolutely lovely article, full of simple yet essential truths. It’s currently helping me to reset my life compass, and aim to become the person I want (and need) to be, i.e. self-awareness… nice to know I’ve already got at least one of the ten traits! :-)

11. sangram samal May 9, 2013 at 1:13 pm

your lines are so true about life.these are things we know , but are unable to apply.well we must try at least. thanks.

12. vishal nigam February 27, 2013 at 3:11 am

Nice thinking , we must have a feeling to take the world on postive direction. Today every where people are thinking to get more and more money, name and fame.

13. Jerome August 22, 2012 at 1:43 pm

You mention many of the qualities I admire in others and which I try to remember as I go along in my life.
    Thanks.

14. Jacqueline
    Jacqueline January 25, 2011 at 8:09 am

Hi Carmen,
    I love your article, Coreen you are someone who I personally admire your energy is very pure. I think it is so sad to find people who have these traits, it saddens me that it seems the list is so small, mother earth is pushing us to find these qualities and use them on a daily bases.

Often it is harder to live and apply these characteristics to ones life, but it shows who you are.

Jacqueline x9472

15. velvetoversteel
    velvetoversteel January 24, 2011 at 1:57 pm

I agree with you both, Carmen & Gina Rose!!! These are the traits I would like to have/keep and that I would also like to find in someone. I think I have… if Gina Rose, Jacqueline & MaryAnne are Right & they always is right.. correct?! :-)

Another Great article, Carmen!! I always read yours, I just don’t always have the time to write a proper comment. Keep them coming!!!!!

Hugs & Many Blessings,
    Coreen @ VOS

16. Christine Caprelian Bedoyan January 24, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Thank you Carmen for this article. These are the standards I try to hold myself up to everyday and the ones I was raised with and they are fading. That is because the immorally crass have become part of our popular culture via Hollywood and now the internets. God bless.

17. Carmen Hexe
    Carmen Hexe January 24, 2011 at 11:32 am

Thanks, Gina Rose. Yes, I find most of these traits rather rare these days. This is why it is such a pleasure to find people who do have them :-)

18. Gina Rose ext.9500
    Gina Rose ext.9500 January 24, 2011 at 7:27 am

Hi Carmen,
    This article made the top of my list for favorite articles.

Integrity is rare nowadays….. I was raised that my word, and my handshake, is my bond…..If I say that I’ll do it, I will. If my answer is no, I will say it upfront….and why.

Courage is truly rare nowadays too…..I don’t mean heroism, I mean everyday courage.
    To speak up, to go against peer pressure, for what is fair.
    ( Maybe bullying wouldn’t be so common , if more were taught to speak up and stand up for what is right.)

Discipline…..another rapidly disappearing trait today.

Such a wonderful article……I told my daughter about this article, her & I were discussing these traits just last week, when we were discussing my little Grand Daughter of 2 yrs old.

Keep up the great work Carmen !!!!

Blessed Be )O(