What Do Your Moon, Rising and Sun Signs Mean?

May 2, 2011 at 5:00 am

Just about everyone knows his or her sun sign, the placement of the sun on the day they were born. Sun sign horoscopes are what we read online, in newspapers and the first thing we ask an astrologer about when we want to know “what’s happening” in our lives. So why would anyone need to know their moon and rising signs? Well, your sun sign is a picture of your basic self, but knowing your moon and rising signs as well gives you a three-dimensional picture of the unique person you are.

Your sun sign is your core; your moon sign is your emotional self; and your rising sign (also known as your ascendant) is how you present yourself to the world.

Sun Sign – “It’s just me”

Our sun sign is the one sign most of us identify with. It’s home base. It’s the things you like, and why you like them a certain way. When you meet someone who shares your Sun sign, you may find you have a lot in common, or consequently, you may find yourself wondering how two people born under the same sign could be so different. The answer can be found in the Moon and rising signs.

Moon Sign – “I feel”

Your moon sign is your emotional center. It’s the source of your reactions to other people, different situations and even how you feel about yourself. Your moon sign is determined by the moon’s placement at your time of birth. This is the part of you that you may only choose to share with those close to you.

Rising Sign – “Hello world”

Your rising sign, or ascendant, is the part of you that you show to the outside world, and how you present yourself to others. It’s the physical you. Some astrologers also believe that your rising sign will also tell you your soul’s purpose.

Your sun sign, moon sign and rising sign form a three-dimensional view of who you are. Each is as important as the other, but understanding how they work together, can give you a deeper understanding of self, why you do the things you do, and why you feel so strongly about particular subjects, and it may also provide you with clues to putting you on the path to true happiness. This trinity of signs is what makes you so unique.

26 Responses to “What Do Your Moon, Rising and Sun Signs Mean?”

1. Lonnie W.FLOWERS September 8, 2013 at 7:58 am

What is my ascendant sign I was born June 23,1943 in Well, Texas

2. Rukminidinesh March 4, 2013 at 1:34 am

Pleasegive real solution for pisces birth time 5.30am

3. billie January 24, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Hi well im not sure of some of my signs and i have had some strange happening in my life. Im 45 and a pieces.3.45 am march 14 67 .i hv found a wonderful man very unexpectedly.i feel i hv knwn him for a very long time and that i found him like i had been waitting for him..this wow iv always wonted to get readings and help with my gifte but im afraid.????

4. Padmakumar G. Nar January 4, 2013 at 4:31 am

Dear Sir

Please gives us a better understanding in very easy terms. one simple man want to understand. Nobody understand sun and moon or any sign. So provide all once more clearly. Thanks

5. Robert January 4, 2013 at 12:43 am

If I am born right on a cusp what do I do?

Many tell me one sign, and others tell me different: books, magazines, and newspapers too.

6. Robert January 4, 2013 at 12:40 am

If I don’t know exactly what time I was born what must I do to figure out my sign and or chart?

How off will I be onlyknowing an aproximate time?

7. YON BALAATI January 3, 2013 at 11:37 pm

happy new year 2013 happy day…….forever

8. Heidi January 3, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Sun- Cancer Moon- Gemini and Rising is Cancer….6/28/73 @ 6:28am
    Successful long term relationships are my issue…it’s what I want but never seem to get

9. Chardy January 3, 2013 at 3:59 pm

@SUE: Hi Sue, your SUN sign = Aquarius. Your MOON sign = Pisces.

If you provide your city/state of birth I will plug in my program and give you your Ascendent sign and the Planetary Aspect/Houses that each of the Planets were in at the time of your birth. The latitude/longitude (location) of birth is just as important as the time :-)

10. sue January 3, 2013 at 12:12 pm

how do u find what ur sun moon and rising signs are ? my birthday feb 15 72 1126 pm

11. Randy January 3, 2013 at 11:07 am

I have such a shor term memory problem I forget my horor scope before I can turn my computer off unless it tells me I have a good chance a meeting a new partner. Then Istay in all day. I hope to remain single and not elgible for the rest of my life this has been my down fall. I depend on this horoscope for that reason. Gold pshics scared me to death like they really knew. I really do not know why I like candles and soft rock. Barry Manilow,Poco, Air supply and Iwas always a good painter maybe even great. Stayed nasty all the time and I like being neat and organized. Love a fresh mowed lawn. I love flowers and I am a guy. I still look at girls. Iwas like this from the time I was born. Love the girls but love hates me I think so I might keep a few harmless friends but that is all.

12. joyce January 3, 2013 at 10:31 am

I;m Aquarus Have lots of changes coming up in this year..also two finicial hits.married for 55 years. ready to move but no support thanks

13. John H. Deatsch January 3, 2013 at 10:01 am

I had a chart done years ago, & I was told I was an Aries double Aries- I guess fire on fire,that can both be good & bad,but I like to take the good, with great thought. I was born at 5am on the 19th of April can someone tell me my 3 dimensional signs??

14. Donna Kerr January 3, 2013 at 9:48 am

Thank youfr this information! It was very helpful! eep up the gea work!

15. Stacey January 3, 2013 at 7:13 am

I have a Capricorn sun and Pisces ascendant with a Sagitaus descendant however my moon changes with the actual moon in this just how mine works? Every time I check the Internet for computer time readings the moon sign is never the same. It has made for a real jog if i want to keep abreast of my personal horoscope. Anyone heard of this?

16. huong January 3, 2013 at 6:17 am

i’m very poor person but when u looking for me about 3 responses to what yuo mean ? i don’t understand ? and if you don’t mind can you expland to me thank you

17. sarwar January 3, 2013 at 6:01 am

family back ground how u act how u accepte the reality.

18. Verland Gilliam January 3, 2013 at 5:56 am

Being somewhat psychic, I had selected all five winning numbers to our fantasy 5 lottery but could not seem to arrange them correctly all on one line but had them mixed on a total of three lines. I have done that on several occasions but for the life of me I can’t seem to make them work in the right order. What can I do to capture my psychic abilities accurately?

19. rachel January 3, 2013 at 5:34 am

but the question in my mind is how do I know what all my signs are?
    I am a Taurus and read my horoscope every day, but never knew about all the other signs. how do I find out? Thank you

20. Sharif Hamawi January 3, 2013 at 5:07 am

Wonderful, simple and interesting as well. Thank you for you great efforts all times. Sharif Hamawi

21. sathya January 3, 2013 at 4:28 am

there is a lot of confusion between sun sign and moon sign., some of my features seem to be more appropriate towards my moon sign.

22. thilaga pillai January 3, 2013 at 2:52 am

how would a moon in pisces affect me i am sun in virgo

23. PATRICIA'S TAROT READINGS CHELTENHAM UK January 3, 2013 at 2:15 am

Read your day to day horoscopes from your rising sign which sits on your House 1 in your natal/ birth chart and it will be more accurate. My rising sign is Sagittarius, although I am a Scorpio Sun sign. I read the Sagittarius horoscope and the Capricorn horoscope because Capricorn follows shortly on in my House 1 in my natal chart. But also for safe measure I also read the Scorpio horoscope as well for total insight.

24. Dains Motoshix July 29, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Hello, Neat post. There’s an issue with your web site in web explorer, might check this?K IE still is the marketplace chief and a good element of folks will omit your great writing because of this problem.

25. misskrystal
    misskrystal May 2, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Thanks LJ-Many times I have been mistaken for my moon or rising sign. In other words, people have asked me if I am those signs…It is interesting for sure…
    Just wanted to share. Your article makes it very simple to understand.
    Thanks, hope to see more of you on here.
    Miss Krystal

26. Jacqueline
    Jacqueline May 2, 2011 at 10:06 am

Hi,
    Great incite, gives us a better understanding in very easy terms,
    Blessings and Big Hugs!